- Beating Fresno. Always good.
- Beating Fresno in Fresno. So much good you can't believe.
- Rutley on the Final SJSU Drive. First-down runs of 5, 5, 7, 0 and 4 yards - giving SJSU short-yardage 2nd and 3rd downs on four of the five down sets on that drive. Rutley had problems hitting holes earlier in the game, but when he got there, he was getting it done in a big way - especially when the team needed it to get done on that final drive.
- Faulkner comes "home" and settles an old score. Kid was 27-42-363-2-1 for the entire game, but was 16-23-217-2-0 in the second half. Once he settled down from the first-quarter yips, he absolutely torched the Fresno defense. I cannot think of a better way for this young man to graduate from the SJSU football program than that performance.
- Fresno's poise. Total of 8 penalties for 94 yards, including two personal fouls and an unsportsmanlike conduct, not to mention the DPI on the final drive that has the KMJ radio hosts still whining and sniveling like the little homer beeyotches they are.
- Crowd Energy. The vaunted Red Wave has turned into something more similar to a Red Squirt. Senior day, playing San Jose, and people were filing out of the stadium once we were up by 10 early in the 4th. I know people are pissed off at Hill, but jeez louise that was poor.
- "V" is for Victim. Good Jeebus Almighty, you should see and hear some of the breast-beating and groan-moaning coming from both the KMJ 'tards and the Barkboarders. They're halfway convinced that the last PI call was a "Eff You" to the Doggies from the WAC, and that the refs gave SJSU the game just to spite Fresno for leaving. Memo to Doggie fans: When your team goes down 10 points in the fourth quarter after leading by a touchdown at recess, the problem ain't the refs. Bottom line - you got your asses handed to you in the second half. Deal.
- Fresno Tech. No TV for the game. All the highlight packages so far have been field-level camera shots. Not to mention Melting Vic on the secondary 'tron...
"I'm Melting! I'm Melting!"
The Long Goodbye: Fresno's leaving us for greener pastures. I believe Curly Bill Brosius said it best...
Overall: Of all the victories this year by SJSU, this was by far the most satisfying to me, as well as to a pretty good chunk of the fan base. While we can sit and imagine what could have been this year had we avoided the eff-ups against Idaho and Utags, we can still take great pride in what these kids have accomplished in two short years together. I will have more to say in the upcoming year-end football wrap-up post.
In the meantime, with a minor stop down in San Diego, the Doggies and the Wolfpack and the
Perhaps the programs will meet up in the future. Perhaps we may even end up in the same conference. All's I know is that, for one glorious season, we went down into the Dog Pound and kicked the Doggies where it hurts the most.